Re: Round 14

To: lollipop@ricochet.net
Subject: Re: Round 14
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:05:30 -0400
Pat Kelly wrote:

>         Don't make me a bad person for offering what my experience has taught
> me.

God forbid. From page 310 of the Solo Rule Book:

"SOLO CUP RECIPIENTS
To the SCCA member who has made an outstanding
contribution to the Solo Events Program. The winner
is selected by the Solo Events Board from nominations
submitted by the membership at large.

1991 John & Pat Kelly"

It should have been two awards in two different years
but then someone would have had to decide who would
be first.

> My fear is not of the change, but that we'll implement it too
> quickly and then have to live with it forever.

Agreed on the first part. More concerned with the
immediate consequences  than the forever part.
Remember the committee discussion last year
when we voted to expand the rookie classes in the
slush series partly on the wise observation that the
short slush series is the best time to try new idea
and that we could always go back to the way it was
if it didn't work? Was it Jerry being so wise? I don't
recall for sure.

>         Agreed...and Jerry's idea of two series (can we trust ourselves to
> competently manage two series?) deserves some examination. NASA and
> Sacramento help spread the load, too.

Don't know, but I'll suggest again we table the discussion
about next year until we figure out what if anything
should be done about attendance at this year's Slush.

> Before I was on the web participating I was alwaysamazed on howquickly new
> ideas got passed in the Steering Committee meetings by those who were...too
> fast, and difficult to put a hold on.

The committee and this list have changed a lot since then.
We'll have four or five meetings before next year begins.

Rich Urschel