Re: Attendance

To: <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Attendance
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 13:51:18 -0700
OK, suppose we wanted to start trying out
the Mouton preoposal in this Slush series -- what would that
mean?

- We would eliminate the Slush Series trophies for non-rookies.
- We would post event results for all, but there would be no points
   standings kept for non-rookies
- We would make it clear that every non-rookie would
  serve as an instructor for rookies.
- We would assign work positions rather than have them
  be voluntary.
- We would recruit two rookie co-chairs for every event.
- Rookies who attended several events would be eligible to sign up
  for the Championship series next year.
- I would become series coordinator
  (if that's what people wanted)

What would happen?

We'd save the cost of some trophies.  There would still be some
  rookie trophies awarded.
Maybe some non-rookies interested in trophies would not
  show up, or not as often.
Or, maybe very few non-rookies would show up, and the
  turnout would be reduced somewhat.
Maybe we'd get even more first timers because of the
  great new program for them.
Non-rookies who are there for the fun of running would
  have a great time; those who love the competition
  would feel unhappy, maybe not have so much fun.

My prediction is that we'd lose some but not all of the
old timers.  We would not get many more first timers,
just the normal number.  There would be a moderate
reduction of turnout.  We would be able to hold more
reasonable events as the days got shorter.

Probably this would take a few events to get to its
final level as people find out they don't get trophies, must
instruct, etc.

Let's do it, whaddaya say?

Jerry

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps