Re: Attendance

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Subject: Re: Attendance
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 15:09:20 -0700
There is a strange irony to all of this. Doesn't it seem weird to
try to find ways to reduce attendance? But that should in
principle be an easy thing to do. How about making everyone who
arrives dance the hokey pokey. Or make them do pushups. Or call
them nasty names at registration. Make them scrub all the black
gunk off the cones with a toothbrush. These all sound silly,
probably because of the inherent paradox of holding an event and
trying to get people to not show up for it.

It's a perfect example of the classic rationing problem in
economics. Demand exceeds supply. QED we are charging too little,
we need to charge more. But dollars are not the only way to
measure cost. Cost is a measure of disutility, which can be
expressed in dollars but also can be expressed in terms of time
or effort.

Why not "charge more" in the following way: either you work
additional groups, or you pay more, or some combination of the
above. For example, if you work only your required work group,
then you pay twice the admission. But for each extra group you
work, you reduce the price. If you show up in the morning and
work all day, you pay the normal price.

This way, people to whom the higher price would represent a
financial burden, can pay the same amount if they're willing to
work more. And people who choose to pay more and only work their
scheduled group, will help the SFR by increasing the budget.

Alternately, one could remove the option to pay extra and instead
simply require everyone to work multiple groups, else receive a
"DNW". Then you could regulate the level of attendance by
tweaking the additional work requirement up or down.

Do you think that would "work" ? The only downside I can imagine
is perhaps there just isn't enough work to keep everyone occupied
with additional work assignments. In that case bring your
toothbrush. . .

--
Michael R. Clements
mrc01@flash.net