Re: Team Rules (RE: TLH Tears it up in Marina)

To: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@ati.com>,
Subject: Re: Team Rules (RE: TLH Tears it up in Marina)
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:16:37 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@ati.com>
To: "'James Creasy'" <black94pgt@pacbell.net>; <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Monday, November 20, 2000 12:15 PM
Subject: Team Rules (RE: TLH Tears it up in Marina)

> Ah, well, we would have to agree on some rules first... (remember, we
> shelved that discussion until AFTER the race =P.
>
> Here's my suggestion:
>
> First off, we need to talk about the number of teams.  Not that it really
> matters, but Team Sloth might want to develop some sort of political rift
> (BMW snobs pulling out and forming their own team?) since they are much
> bigger than TLH.

That would work for me.  Split 'em into Team Sloth and Team Avarice!  (those
are the only two of the Seven Deadly Sins I can remember)

> Derive an average index for each team.  Since there are quite a few
drivers
> that are using street tires, I would recommend we apply an additional
street
> tire index.  The easy way to get this index is take Street Touring and
> subtract Street Touring S's index from it and you get .027, or 1.62
seconds
> per 60 seconds (a conservative number, but not bad and better than
nothing).
> So my ESP 300ZX's index would fall from a .822 to a .795.

I think a better approach is to DIVIDE the STS index by that for STR.  I
came up with a "street tire multiplier" of .967, which changes your Z's
index to... well, to .795.  Okay, for most of us it works out the same
either way, but I like my approach better.  So there! :-b

But then the problem we run into is, are these people claiming to be on
street tires actually on street tires?  For instance, I could lie about
running my streets yesterday at Marina.  If we adopt a modified index for
street tires, I would end up with a PAX time that would look more
appropriate for Andy McKee than myself if I told such a lie and you fell for
it (not that I think you would).  I like this approach in principle, but it
may require a little too much policing for a friendly competition such as
this one.  This is just for fun after all.

> Next, (and I'm sure I'm going to get lots of flack for this idea) I would
> suggest that we approach this kinda like a Pro-Solo finale...take the
> average indexed time for each team and apply a handicap modifier so that
all
> teams fished with an IDENTICAL time for this first event.  Then for the
next
> two events, each team to win has to IMPROVE their times against how they
did
> in the first event because of the handicap index set in the first event.
> Make sense?

I don't really like this idea.  It just mucks things up too much.

This is a good start, though.  We can probably come up with a workable
scoring system about the time they finally decide who will be President ;)

Scot - Leader of the Long-Haired Freaky People (at least that's what Katie
K. called me) and SFR's Resident Burnout King
'91 CS Miata
Team Longhair