RE: Team Rules (RE: TLH Tears it up in Marina)

To: "'Scot Zediker'" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: RE: Team Rules (RE: TLH Tears it up in Marina)
From: Carl Merritt <cmerritt@ati.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:51:31 -0800
> > (BMW snobs pulling out and forming their own team?) since
> > they are much bigger than TLH.
>
> That would work for me.

Yeah, but we should probably wait to hear from them.

OTOH, they seem to be stalling for time on this issue until the results are
posted, rather unsportsmenlike of them eh?

> > The easy way to get this index is take Street Touring and
> > subtract Street Touring S's index from it and you get .027
>
> I think a better approach is to DIVIDE the STS index by that
> for STR.  I
> came up with a "street tire multiplier" of .967, which
> changes your Z's
> index to... well, to .795.  So there! :-b

Yeah, whatever...  =P

> But then the problem we run into is, are these people
> claiming to be on
> street tires actually on street tires?  For instance, I could
> lie about
> running my streets yesterday at Marina.

Yes, but we could lie about many things, like running SM cars in ESP, or BSP
cars in VSP, etc...I think we have to trust people or it'll all get really
messy and be tied up in the courts for weeks while the public anxiously
awaits a victor.

> > average indexed time for each team and apply a handicap
> > modifier so that...
>
> I don't really like this idea.  It just mucks things up too much.

Yeah, that was the point ;-).  The rules must be complex enough to
perpetuate an argument through Superbowl Sunday to sustain our fighting
spirit until the start of the new season.

> This is a good start, though.  We can probably come up with a workable
> scoring system about the time they finally decide who will be
> President ;)

Uh...that would quite specifically be December 18th, the day after the next
event.  We should be able to figure out how to doctor the rules in our favor
by then...especially of all the Sloths stay quiet and let us make them up.

-Carl