Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...

To: "Craig Haggart, Accelerator Ops" <haggart@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: Quelling the teeming hordes of autox students...
From: "Kevin Stevens" <Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 00:14:19 -0800
>    > ...the Region couldn't possibly afford to pay people what
>    > their time is worth in real dollars...
>
> I wasn't suggesting that instructors get a fistful of dollars,
> just some incentive greater than a sandwich.  Not to sound like
> a broken record, but wouldn't track time or event entry-fee
> waivers or SCCA memberships be appreciated?

As a gesture, sure.  As compensation for taking a day off work, burning a
vacation day, or even a weekend day - are you kidding?!?

>    > ...you can learn as much or more by riding with instructors
>    > than having them ride with you.
>
> Hey, I thought I made that trick up myself!  Not that it's done
> me much good...

Back in the day, when I started autocrossing (1995), I posted an offer to
ba-autox to have regional/National champions either co-drive my car, or pay
their entry, in exchange for letting me ride with them and having them ride
with me.  I had, if I recall, ten National Champions instruct me that year for
the cost of tires or a $20 entry.

If you REALLY want them to stand in line, offer to work their assignment...

KeS