Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>,
Subject: Re: Preregistration and computerized timing/scoring
From: "Jerry Mouton" <jerry@moutons.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 16:45:53 -0800
How many entrants run at a typical event in your local
region, Mark?

Again, who would do all this in SFR?  Is registration data entry a signup
work assignment?  Or is there someone who is there at every event
early in the morning, dedicated to make this work?  Who would you see
handling the merge of databases?  Is your experience of database merge
that it typically just runs, no problem?

We used to handle our AYSO Soccer League registration with several
machines and an after-the-fact database merge.  We were using a
professional database product, but even then there was invariably
some kind of hangup and I'd be up all night making one database out of
the several.  Of course, SFR might have an easier time, but again, we'd
be under extreme time pressure, and the event would depend on
completion of the merge in the 10 minutes between start of the
drivers' meeting and beginning of run group 1 -- without failure.
And, online database update continuously during the day as new people
showed up and registered.

Sounds a lot tougher to me than it does to you!

Jerry Mouton        mailto:jerry@moutons.org    Laissez les bons temps
rouler!