RE: The hardest autox skill?

To: Kirk Meline <kirkm@zeta-idt.com>
Subject: RE: The hardest autox skill?
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 14:37:01 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Kirk Meline wrote:

> Take the fuse out of your ABS and learn the right way?  Then you'll know the
> limits of your brakes before ABS confuses your foot.  I always see people
> with ABS just slam it to the floor every corner.  Thats a bad habit.

I disagree strongly with Kirk.

First of all, I don't drive that way (with ABS), and none of the fast
guys I know (with ABS) do that.  It doesn't work; both because you get the
ABS all fouled up, and for the weight transfer reasons I mentioned before.

As a sanity check, I went from learning and driving ABS cars for several
years to driving a non-ABS car this year.  The only problem I had with
braking was that the car has way too much front brake bias, which leads me
to:

Second of all, ABS is your friend if it works properly.  Call it
"per-wheel dynamic brake bias adjustment", and see if that doesn't make
you feel better.  If you're braking as hard as possible, you can't have
*any* lateral transfer without locking up an inside wheel.  This has
nothing to do with your skill, it has to do with having one brake pedal
instead of four.  ABS allows you to brake to the ability of the tire with
the BEST traction instead of braking to the ability of the tire with the
WORST traction.

Thirdly, he's a Ford geek and just jealous because Ford ABS sucks.  ;)

KeS