Re: Atwater questions

To: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: Atwater questions
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 17:46:08 -0700
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 08:15:00PM -0400, John F. Kelly Jr. wrote:
> -------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------
>
> Message text written by "Peter Mottaz"
>
> "2002 330ci w/o LSD
>
> The car I drove at the Atwater pro that was set up by Tunnell had some (but
>
> not much) inside wheel spin. However it had no real problem getting its
> (greater than the 325is and the Lexus) power down and is much faster (IMO)
> than either - all with out a LSD."
> -------------------- End Original Message --------------------
>
> Peter,
> And so what are you telling us re: LSD units?

He is telling us that he thinks a car with more power, more tire, a completely
redesigned chassis and suspension, and no LSD is faster than a car
with LSD.  Who would have thought?

He is also telling us that despite having been set up by Tunnell, the
car with no LSD experienced wheel spin.

Let's revisit the claim that you dispute: The lack of LSD reduces the
advantage of having more power.  Not eliminates, not overwhelms
any other factors, just reduces.  Peter M's observation is not in
disagreement with Peter T's hypothesis.

Let me give an example of what I think Peter meant by his statement,
to make sure you're not disagreeing because you think he meant
something else:

Take two cars that are identical in every way, except that car A has
100HP and car B has 150HP.

Scenario 1: neither car has LSD.
Scenario 2: both cars have LSD.

Peter is claiming that in scenario 1, car A won't be quite as far
behind as car B as it would be in scenario 2.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94