Re: Fear and Loathing in AP

To: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Fear and Loathing in AP
From: "Charles Cox" <charles@coastalbay.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:27:36 -0700
Wheels for both classes are now the same (I believe). They originally set
out to reduce the DP wheels to a maximum diameter of 13" from the previous
15" (I won't comment) but as I recall, they have reconsidered and both
classes are now at 15X7...were always both at the same width and there is a
better selection in the 13" diameter tires.

Induction isn't unlimited, carburetion or fuel injection is. That limits you
to naturally aspirated engines which is the same as CSP. It has been shown
in CSP that Individual throttle bodies don't show significant enough power
to make that much difference compared running "stock" fuel injection, so the
power difference between an AP and DP engine is insignificant.

Regarding the weight of an AP Miata...I think your statement is similar to
what the SEB thought. What seems to have been missed is that all Miatas in
subsequent years gained weight and you have to consider all the cars, not
just one or two light years of car bodies. This is not just due to luxury
features but a lot of it is due to the strengthening of the car. In my
opinion, there is no way to get the car to the indicated minimum weight
safely without sacrificing some structural integrity, particularly if using
any of the M2 chassis which should have been and you should take
consideration of. Take a look at a DP Miata (when you can now find one) and
try to find where you can take 425# off of it.

I'm not sure what scales you used to weigh your car but I don't see how it
could be close to 1750# when most CSP competitors I know are around
#1,900-1,950 pound range (some a bit less if taking out the soft top...no
A/C, etc.) so I'm not sure how you could have gotten lighter than most of
them but if in that range, try taking 150-200# out of your car, even taking
out the interior (or 350# as allowed by the rules for a 1.6)...you'll be
surprised how difficult (and expensive) it really is...I've done it, I know.

If yours is a '91 then the minimum weight in AP is 1600# or would you want
to run the 1.6 at the 1.8 weight...think about it. The reason the cars are
different weights is because the earlier 1.6 Miatas weigh less to start
with. They are not as structurally strong as the later cars and consequently
weigh less.

Mine is 2300# and that is light for an M2. Yes you can gut and cut off the
windshield but if you put a cage in the car, the weight from window and
frame is a trade off, maybe even more with the cage but required to stiffen
the car. It just can't be safely and cost-effectively done properly without
compromises based on my experience. Yes you can start with replacing all the
body parts available in Carbon Fiber, build your own control arms out of
alloy...etc...yes you could probably get the car to the weight but at what
cost? The rule book states: "Minimum weights shall be established making it
possible for all cars to reach minimum weight with reasonable modifications.
The SEB recognizes that low minimum weights ultimately result in higher
costs to the competitor." With that in mind, it is my opinion that the SEB
ignored this part of the rules when putting the Miata in AP as they did or
don't care what it costs. That being said, I have heard a rumor of one
competitor that is getting close to the 1750# for the 1.8 limit...although I
haven't verified it.

Do you think placing 1750# (even if achievable) 190HP (maybe) Miatas with
7X15" wheels against 2000# (listed minimum weight for up to 5.1 L) Cobras
with 500+ hp (and boo-coo torque) and 10X16" wheels seem equitable in the
same class...I don't think so...the numbers don't compute to me.

(My Miata lists the weight at 2,447# stock. It actually weighed more. The
FFR Cobra shows the stock (dry)weight at 2,305# so I can only assume if you
can get the Miata to 1750# you should easily be able to get the FFR from
2305 to 2000#, right?)

Maybe that is why you don't see any AP Miatas around....at least I
haven't...

Charles