Re: Sunday's course

To: "Rick Brown" <rbrown7@covad.net>, "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sunday's course
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:56:42 -0700
Rick said,
From: "Rick Brown" <rbrown7@covad.net>

> Next time try jacking weight off the RF by increasing LF and RR tire
> pressures and dropping RF and LR pressures.
> This would have reduced understeer turning left with reduced RF tire
> and wear.
>
> --- Rick Brown
> > To: autox
> > Subject: Sunday's course
...> > Here's my two cents on the results of the course design.  You-all may
have
> > noticed that the course was relentlessly left turning, with the
> > big loop, and the general layout.
Rick,
I do appreciate the comments.  It is a good point that sometimes
NASCAR/circle track techniques of introducing stagger and jacking might
actually be appropriate for auto-x.  Though philosophically I really prefer
it where the cars are capable of turning BOTH ways....  :-)

As far as how successful that would be, because of the heavy front bias in
my car (no Vette here!) and the consequent need to keep pressures fairly
high to prevent tire rollover, I am reluctant to experiment too far with
reducing front pressures.  It may well be that the outer edges had just
reached the end of life for this tire (Pilot Sport PS2) under the (ab)use
I've given it.  But a full season on Victoracers on narrow rims with _stock_
camber, and a season on Azenis with springs/bars/slightly modified camber,
had not resulted in any edge chunking, with even more time spent at Golden
Gate Fields.  Oh well.  The cost of the fun.

Paul T.      '92 SHO         #35 STX