RE: My entertaining weekend.

To: "'Haroldande'" <Haroldande@aol.com>
Subject: RE: My entertaining weekend.
From: Ron Auger <ron.auger@olsy-na.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:05:16 -0500
------ =_NextPart_000_01BD475D.6B71E980

Since you made this a public thread, I thought I'd give you my insight in
owning #1631

On Wednesday, March 04, 1998 9:20 AM, Haroldande [SMTP:Haroldande@aol.com]
wrote:
> Hey Scott...
>
> Regarding the Bricklin, if you don't mind, What do you find are the
quirks and
> peculiarities of the car? I have heard that some had a rust problem???
True. When looking at a Bricklin, look at the bottom of the door, the door
sill and the windshield sill for the best indication on the amount of rust

>Badly fitted body panels???
True. My car has quite good fit around the door, hood and hatch seams. It
seems most Bricklins do not have the evenly spaced seams you find on
today's production cars. Also, since acrylic and fiberglass respond to
temperature differently, the hood and headlight covers have a tendency to
raise at the corners by a half inch or more. The acrylic layer is not as
perfectly smooth, either. When looking down a long panel you will notice
waves the wouldn't be tolerated from any body shop or on a regular
production car.

> Are they particularly difficult to do body work on?
My car has been painted over already. Maybe one of the acrylic owners can
give you insight on maintaining the acrylic.

> I  was actually leaning towards the 351 models because of my familiarity,
but the
> HP difference you've mentioned could give me pause to reconsider.
There's much that could be done to the 351W to improve horsepower (so I've
heard; I haven't done any of it, yet). In it's original configuration it is
very de-tuned.

> Are the transmissions reliable?
>From what I've heard and experienced, the FMX transmission on the 75s are
VERY reliable.

> And finally (phew.!!) , could you recommend any good
> reading material I might want to consider to help me in my search?
If you haven't seen it already, the web site has a FAQ page
http://bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/TechCentral/TCFAQ.htm and allot of
technical articles http://bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/TechCentral/TCArticl
eHome.htm. The "Bricklin Gold Portfolio Book" is a collection of most
anything that has every been published about the Bricklin outside of the
'Brickline". Maybe someone on the list knows where you can order one.

I'm in West Haven, CT and will be organizing a Spring get-together for the
CT-MA cars. If you would like to be included, just let me know.

                                        Ron Auger
(snail-mail) Olsy North America         Staff Software Engineer
        185 Plains Road Suite 302W      203-882-4373 (desk)
        Milford, CT  06460              203-783-1520 (fax)
(E-mail) ron.auger@olsy-na.com          800-759-8888 (bpr) pin#1153000
(C-mail) Ron Auger CMLA
(V-mail) 800-338-0775                           "Eschew  Obfuscation"

------ =_NextPart_000_01BD475D.6B71E980--