Re: My entertaining weekend.

To: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>,
Subject: Re: My entertaining weekend.
From: "Greg Monfort" <wingracer@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 00:59:49 -0500

>Well, after looking at the stock intake manifold and motorcraft
carb on
>my 74 for too long, I decided to take the plunge.  Edelbrock
performer
>intake manifold and holley 600CFM single pump carb.
=========
Single or dual plane? Spread or square bore?
=========
  I replaced the fuel
>pump (which died somehow during the installation of the manifold
etc.)
>and upgraded to a Accell Super coil.
>
>Well  some people would say that the stock intake manifold is good
>enough and that all my carb needed was to be rebuilt,  and they may
be
>right.
==========
Only those folks who consider a car as an appliance. :^))
==========
  But the engine looks sexy now.  Still plenty of work to be done
>(including locating and tightening some leaks.
>
>After two days of prep and installation (the rusted manifold bolts
are a
>pain to get to on the passenger side '74)  the car started right up
and
>idled beautifully.  The response is much quicker and either it
boosted
>the performance significantly , or the previous performance was
degraded
>significantly.
==========
The Motorcraft carb is only one notch above a Briggs & Stratton in
sophistication when new and doesn't hold a tune as well.
==========
  Now the car chirps a lot louder from first to second,
>and then audibly from second to third.
>
>Does anyone have success with a floor shifter replacement like
Hurst or
>B&M?  Does anyone have success with Sparco or Recaro seats?
==========
Years ago there were several cars with the Recaro RS seats. They
will reduce both headroom and legroom by about an 1.5".
==========
  And what
>about carpeting that is not brown,  I hear that the only molded
carpet
>kits are original brown color.  Uggg.
==========
Any good upholstery shop will be able make what you want, but figure
on at least a grand for quality work/materials.
==========

>My  Die-hard Chevy fan (Monte Carlo, Nova, and Corvette) actually
told
>me that he was falling for my car and was impressed with the
>performance.
>
>Ok  enough rambling.  Just wanted to let people know that even
without
>functional doors, carpeting, interior panels, or dashboard,  the
car is
>still super-fun.
>
>If anyone is interested in a stock manifold (needs some cleaning)
or a
>stock? Motorcraft carb (needs a rebuild kit) let me know by  email.
>
>Ohhh another thing.   Where does the majority lie on the air
injection
>thing that sits to the outside of the power steering pump.  I
removed it
>and the bracket this weekend and do not plan on putting it back in
the
>vehicle.  Is it worth something to restorers or to people in Cali?
>Otherwise it may go to the junkyard for scrap.
I know that the air pump for the '75 is no longer available, unless
a dealer still has one, so if it still functions............

GM