RE: Air leak

To: markquila@earthlink.net, GLCurley@aol.com, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Air leak
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 01:59:18 PDT
I have to respectfully disagree.  If the door is not up and if there is air
leaking from the top of the cylinder, then the "leak" is not with the top of
the cylinder -- that is likely not even a sealing surface -- in fact I know
or at least believe that it is not -- otherwise where would the air go when
the cylinder goes up? The problem is likely with the piston inside the
solenoid that is letting a small amount of air to bleed through.  If the
solenoid is working, there should be no, and I mean absolutely NO, air going
to that cylinder and without air, there can be no, again NO, air leaking
from the top of the cylinder. Bear in mind that if there are any leaks at
all that are beyond the solenoids when they are shut, the problem is with
the solenoid -- those solenoids cut off all air pressure for everything
beyond them.

Of course, there is another problem if everything is as you describe. If the
solenoid is leaking and air isw getting to the cylinder and escaping from
the top, then the cylinder's cup is leaking (also the solenoid is leaking).
Kim