RE: Brake Issues Still

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Brake Issues Still
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair1948@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 17:42:32 -0400
At 04:16 PM 10/1/2007 -0400, Early, Stephen wrote:

>Good flow from the bleeder screw tells you the lines are clear but does
>not indicate the actual wheel cylinders and calipers are working.  I've
>tested calipers by removing one and having someone very gently press the
>pedal while I observe the piston moving out.  Make sure you stop before
>it comes all the way out.  I then push the piston back in with my hand.
>It will be very difficult to do by hand but should go all the way back
>in.
>
>To test the wheel cylinders, I pull one drum and shoes and have the
>person gently press the pedal while I hold the pistons with my index
>finger and thumb.....

Stephen,

This should come with an extreme caution.  As you mention you don't want
the pistons on either the caliper or the wheel cylinder to come out.  If
so, it usually means you need to replace the seals.

Now if anyone is going to try something like this at home, I'd suggest
that they put a C clamp on the caliper and piston.  Then they can back
off the clamp some so the piston can move, but not enough to allow it
to come out of the caliper.  It's possible that they can do the same
thing with the wheel cylinder.  Place a C clamp across the to pins coming
out of the wheel cylinder.

Again, this will tell that the pistons will move, but not now much pressure
is being applied.

Greg.  Do you have one of the IR gun thermometers?  If so, try driving the
car up and down the drive way, or around the block - if a cop isn't likely
to nail you, and use the brakes a lot.  Then jump out and shoot the drums
and rotors with the thermometer.  Record the temps.  You might have/ want to
do this a couple of times.  The 2 calipers should be about the same temp
as should the 2 drums.  If any one is way off, that wheel isn't breaking
like it should.

There is a bell crank system on the front of the fire wall.  I've been looking
for a picture/drawing of it and can't find one.  Can't believe I didn't
draw one up.  Anyway, is it possible that you have that assembled incorrectly?

Va. Beach, Va
Phone:  (757) 495-8229