TR6 tires

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: TR6 tires
From: leger@Alliant.COM (Bob Leger)
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 90 16:08:05 EDT
The TR6 (and TR-250) did indeed come with 185-15 (80 series) radial tires.
This presents a problem when buying tires for a TR6 as that is a pretty rare
size today.  The trend is toward lower aspect ratio tires.  If you replace
the tires with something the same width but a lower aspect ratio, the
overall gearing will be shorter and the speedo will read high.  Also ground
clearance will be reduced.  If you get something the same diameter in a
lower aspect ratio, it will have a larger section width and there may be
fender and frame clearance problems.  The Eurotire catalog lists the 185-15
as 26.54" in diameter.  The 185/70-15 is listed as 25.51".  It's a sure fit
on the TR6 rim (5 1/2"), there will be no clearance problems, and gearing
will be 4% shorter than with the stock tires.  There are several tire brands
listed in the catalog as available in that size.  A 205/70-15 is listed as
26.32".  There will be minimal gearing change, and they will fit on the stock
wheels, but I don't know whether there will be any clearance problems with the
wider tires.  There are several tire brands listed in that size as well.
I remember a note in one of the catalogs from TRF which said that some
performance minded TR6 drivers use 205/60-15 tires.  The Eurotire catalog
lists these as 24.68" in diameter and says that the minimum rim width
is 5 1/2".  Those would change the gearing by 7% and reduce ground clearance
by an inch.  205/60-15 is a widely available size.  The 5 1/2" rim width is
listed a minimum for most of these sizes, and since this is a generic chart,
some manufacturers may not reccomend a rim that narrow.  It would good to
check with the manufacturer first.  I have 185-15 Michelins on my TR-250.
It would be nice to have a more modern tire design, as the Michelin X is
pretty anemic in the corners, but without overdrive I am reluctant to go with
a much smaller diameter tire.  The price of the Michelin X reproductions makes
a set of 205/60-15 Comp T/A's look like a real bargain!  I would be interested
in hearing from TR-6 and TR-250 owners who have or have had non-stock size
tires on their car.  What size do you run? Any clearance problems?
Stock wheel or other (aftermarket alloy or wire)?  What is your subjective
judgement on the gearing change?

Bob Leger