Re: SOL identifiers (was Radar and dome other alliterations)

To: hoosier.utah.edu!british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: SOL identifiers (was Radar and dome other alliterations)
From: wms@spin.att.com
Date: Thu, 28 May 92 12:22:28 EDT
Subject: Help! strange British pipe thread

Dear Scions of Lucas,
   I need help, but it has nothing to do with a car. I have a
small British diesel engine (a Petter) in my boat, to which I am
trying to fit fresh water cooling. I have a pipe fitting that I
need to mate to that appears to be neither SAE nor metric.
   It is about the same diameter as 3/8 NPT (about .650 across the
threads) It has about but not exactly 20 threads per inch. The closest
metric thread pitch is 1.25. It is straight, not tapered. It is used
both as a pipe fitting thread and the thread for the compression nut
on a 3/8 inch cone fitting.
   Can anyone identify this thread? Furthermore, does anyone have any
recommendation on where and how to buy or borrow a tap to make this
thread? I've tried a couple of parts and repair shops that specialize
in British cars, and the representative of the engine's manufacturer,
to no avail.
   If you have any information for me, please reply by e-mail, as I
no longer subscribe to the mailing list. I was unable to keep up with
the traffic.

Thanks a lot,
   Wayne Simpson        AT&T Bell Labs, Holmdel, NJ, USA
                        wms@spin.ho.att.com
                        (908) 949-0482