Re: TR-3A bonnet letters and medallion

To: british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu
Subject: Re: TR-3A bonnet letters and medallion
From: rush@mnementh.Metaphor.COM (Ed Rush)
Date: Fri, 29 May 92 17:51:40 PDT
Thanks, all of you, for your contributions.  Some specific
replies follow:

>some of the earlier TRs did not come with letters
>Well, pedantically speaking, yer pre-TR3A's didn't have letters
>either.

It appears that the pre-TR3A cars depended on the medallion
to say "TRIUMPH".

>You might be better off digging out the old bondo,
>locating the original holes and rebondoing
>the area with the holes exposed.

Nice idea, but I went to the shop this afternoon to investigate
it and, when I looked closely. I found that the apron is a
fiberglass reproduction! The TRF catalogue says they sell the
fiberglass ones because they have no source for steel ones.

>>die-set to stamp "TS 66235 L" on a new plate?

>many jewelers can do this
>Most any locksmith will have the proper sized die-stamp.

A mechanic also told me that the dies are really rather cheap.
I would need eight of them to stamp "TS 66235 L", so if I
can't find a cooperative jeweler or locksmith, I'll have to
find out *how* cheap.

>[various legal concerns]

What the DMV doesn't know won't hurt me. Besides, the rivets
are already drilled out.

  Ed Rush, employed by but not speaking for
  Metaphor Computers, Mtn. View, CA
     UUCP: [...!{apple|decwrl}!]metaphor!rush
     Internet: rush@metaphor.com