Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest

To: twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 93 14:48:22 CDT
One thing that really suprised me when I got to this country was that americans
use the word coup rather than coupe (should be an accent over the e, pronounced
coop-a). Mention you are driving a coup to a british person and they
will assume you are driving a large box containing pigeons....

I taught my other half how to drive a stick shift and at the first junction
told her to 'change gear'...I got a funny look as if to say 'why the hell
should I change my clothes now...I'm having a driving lesson'!

One interesting thing about manual/auto trannies in the U.K. is if you take
your test in an automatic, you are only licensed for an automatic, i.e. you
are not allowed to drive a manual!! Again, I thought it most strange
meeting people here who wouldn't go near a manual car (my girlfriend
included!!).

Just more babbling

Marcus