Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Berkshire British Motor Club; Our trivia contest
From: timd@ptltd.com (Tim Dziechowski)
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 93 12:45:55 EDT
>> 24. British for removable side windows
>
> Side curtains, same as USA since the horse-and-buggy days.  In the USA
> they were sometimes called "I-zen-glass" curtains (I have no idea how to
> spell that), which referred to the clear material.  May have been a brand
> name for some kind of clear cello stuff no longer used.  This term is very
> old and predated automobiles.

Although your dictionary may tell you otherwise, isinglass referred to a form
of sheet mica which was used in the US for window coverings in colonial times
when glass was expensive.

I only happen to know this because I have a friend who lives on Isinglass Road,
which has a quarry site from way back when, and I got curious about the name.

timd@ptltd.com  (Tim Dziechowski - Phoenix Technologies - Cambridge, Mass)
"Let me know if this is getting too trivial"