Re: how to install the chrome thingy

To: William Hartwell Woodruff <woodruff@engin.umich.edu>
Subject: Re: how to install the chrome thingy
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 1994 15:37:59 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 16 Jun 1994, William Hartwell Woodruff wrote:

> ++> Guys, I'm having a hard time installing the plastic-chrome
> ++> thingy that goes around the windshield rubber of a
> ++> Spit 1500. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried sliding the
>
>       Pain, trauma, sorrow, unhappiness...  all words which come to mind
> when I think about putting that chrome trim on.  I'm sure there is an easy
> way (they did it at the factory after all), but I don't know it.  I found

I don't know how this is designed, but there is an old trick that may have
some application.  Even if it won't do anything in this particular
application, it is useful to know.  Many older cars use a rubber moulding
with two grooves to hold fixed windows in the body.  The inner groove
contains the window, and the outer one fits over a lip of sheet metal
around the window opening in the body, to hold the window in and seal it.
If you try to pry these in, you can make quite a mess.

The trick is as follows:  put the rubber around the window, seating the
window in the inner groove of the rubber.  Then take a stout slippery
string like synthetic mason's twine and tie it in a loop a couple of feet
larger than the perimeter of the window opening.  Push the string in the
outer groove in the rubber that is intended to fit over the body sheet
metal lip and bring the excess string out of the groove at one point.
Have an assistant(s) outside push the window and rubber against the opening,
with the excess string hanging inside the car.  If you pull on the string
loop, pulling it between the rubber and the body flange, the string will
pull the inner lip of the rubber over the flange and quick as a wink
(yeah, right) your window is in.  Depending on how the trim is installed,
something like this might work to put the trim on.  Alternatively, it
might make window installation easy enough that the thought of removing
the window to install the trim would be tolerable.

Ray Gibbons