Re: how to install the chrome thingy

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, woodruff@engin.umich.edu
Subject: Re: how to install the chrome thingy
From: sbender@dsd.es.com (Steve Bender)
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 94 15:23:47 MDT
> > ++> Guys, I'm having a hard time installing the plastic-chrome
> > ++> thingy that goes around the windshield rubber of a
> > ++> Spit 1500. Anyone have any ideas? I have tried sliding the
> >
> >     Pain, trauma, sorrow, unhappiness...  all words which come to mind
> > when I think about putting that chrome trim on.  I'm sure there is an easy
> > way (they did it at the factory after all), but I don't know it.  I found

> The trick is as follows:  put the rubber around the window, seating the
> window in the inner groove of the rubber.  Then take a stout slippery
> string like synthetic mason's twine and tie it in a loop a couple of feet
> larger than the perimeter of the window opening.  Push the string in the
> outer groove in the rubber that is intended to fit over the body sheet
> metal lip and bring the excess string out of the groove at one point.
> Have an assistant(s) outside push the window and rubber against the opening,
> with the excess string hanging inside the car.  If you pull on the string
> loop, pulling it between the rubber and the body flange, the string will
> pull the inner lip of the rubber over the flange and quick as a wink
> (yeah, right) your window is in.  Depending on how the trim is installed,
> something like this might work to put the trim on.  Alternatively, it
> might make window installation easy enough that the thought of removing
> the window to install the trim would be tolerable.

This is the method I used on my TR4A... or I should say "we" since I
had my wife help me with the task.  After positioning the windscreen
she stood on the inner-fenders astride the engine compartment bearing
most of her weight against the windscreen... she was 7-months pregnant
at the time and did not think that the task was at all very dignified.
She later commented though that she thought it was a rather appropriate
exercise in preparation for childbirth.

-Steve-