RE: TC got the shakes

To: Greg Meboe <MEBOE@WSUVM1.CSC.WSU.EDU>
Subject: RE: TC got the shakes
From: Chip Old <feold@umd5.umd.edu>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 01:04:40 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 8 Jul 1994, Greg Meboe wrote:

>    Your shaking TC screams one thing to me.  And yes it would be affected
> by a motor rebuild.   Clutch Pilot bushing.
>    It may be that in 4th gear, since the input shaft does not drive the
>counter
> gear, it is not stabilized from wobbling as much.
>
>    Now I'm probably going to be inundated with flames about how TC's don't
> have a pilot bushing, the input shaft was wrapped with leather at the factory,
> or some other ingenious British design.  EXccccuuuuse me.  I'm just trying
> to help.

Nope, no flames.  The TC's XPAG engine does have a pilot bushing, and it's
often overlooked during rebuilds because it is often hard to get the old
one out.  However, since Dave was replacing a broken crank, I would
imagine he replaced the bushing too (since new cranks usually have the
bushing pre-installed).  Um, Dave, you _did_ check that, didn't you?

Anyway, a worn pilot bushing causes noticeable vibration, but not the
violent shaking Dave described.  Unless, of course, that new crank didn't
come with a bushing and Dave forgot to install one.  Um, Dave????  :-)

Chip Old              1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
feold@umd5.umd.edu    1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily transportation)