Re: freaky clutch...I don't understand...

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: freaky clutch...I don't understand...
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 11:12:08 EDT

>Marcus:
>
>Okay, I gave a call to a fellow lbc-lover (who is unfortunate enought not
to be on the net) who has done lots of work on lots of lbcs and such and he
suggests:

>the spring in the clutch slave may be of some service:
>      During *assembly* of the entire apparatus (i.e. a matter of
convenience) principally to keep the rubber seal in place while the piston
is inserted and the circlip is inserted and the rubber boot is put on.

>He suggests that in all likelyhood, once the slave cylinder is properly
assembled, bled and bolted, the spring is doing *virtually nothing*.  It is
not even strong enough to move the rubber seal on the wet side of the
piston.  Hydraulic preasure alone moves the piston, and the springs in the
clutch plate return it to "dead."  Maybe the spring helps to keep the rubber
lips sealed against the inner wall of the cylander.

>He also says that indeed you are 100% correct, absolutely *no* contact
between the throwout bearing and the clutch is permitted.  The carbon fibre
would wear away in no time.