Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle

To: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Subject: Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 07:35:41 -0400
 You write:

> Hi there,

> I am in the same situation with my Midget: No title, no car plates. In
> the next days or so I'll know exactly how it works in Mass.

Well,

   I just went through this about 6 weeks ago when buying my TR6 in New
Hampshire.  What I did was print out a new and improved form of the "Bill of
Sale" and "Odometer Mileage Statement" available on the british-cars FTP
server.   I've been planning to announce that I put the files in FrameMaker,
reformatted them somewhat, and printed out postscript versions.  I was going to
ask if there would be interest in them before putting the FrameMaker and
PostScript versions on the british-cars FTP server.

  I used the "Bill of Sale" at the purchase, having the previous owner fill it
all out.  Like the case you describe, there was no title, and no current
registration (actually, none for 5 years...) for the TR6.  I took just the
Bill of Sale to my local town offices to register the car.  The lady said that
it is common practice for older vehicles to have only a Bill of Sale.  She
simply photocopied the Bill of Sale to keep for the town's records, took my
check for the registration fees, and handed me a registration.

  Then again, this is New Hampshire, which doesn't have quite the same
tax-hungry state governments of Massachusetts and California.  (Indeed, you
will note that I registered my vehicle at a town hall, rather than a state DMV
office...)

I hope it goes as smoothly for you both.  (If not, my company is looking for
70 C/UNIX software engineers, and NH is beautiful at this time of year...)

--ken

Kenneth B. Streeter        | ARPA: streeter@sanders.com
Lockheed Sanders           | UUCP: ...!uunet!sanders.com!streeter
PTP2-A001                  |
65 River Road              | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Hudson, NH 03051           | Fax:   (603) 885-0631