Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Obtaining a title to an registered vehicle
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 94 12:36:16 MDT
Ken writes...
{   I just went through this about 6 weeks ago when buying my TR6 in New
{Hampshire.  What I did was print out a new and improved form of the "Bill of
{Sale" and "Odometer Mileage Statement" available on the british-cars FTP
{server.   I've been planning to announce that I put the files in FrameMaker,
{reformatted them somewhat, and printed out postscript versions.  I was going to
{ask if there would be interest in them before putting the FrameMaker and
{PostScript versions on the british-cars FTP server.

This is a good idea.  However, it might be handy to make up _2_ versions
of the Bill of Sale, one buyer-friendly and one seller-friendly,
depending on whether you are buying or selling the car.  The current BOS
(contained as part of the SOL Used Car Buyers Guide file on the
british-cars archive) has a bit of both.

The buyer-friendly BOS would:
 - grant the buyer possession of the car and everything in the car (in
    case you find that wad of $100's under the seat)

 - state that there are no liens against the car or other dubious financial
    trickery involved.

 - state that the owner is really the owner and has the right to sell the
    vehicle

 - NOT include the phrase "AS IS" (in case you get it home and find out it's
     really two wrecked body shells welded together and want to try to get
     recourse)

 - whatever else you can think of to protect yourself as a buyer.

The seller-friendly BOS would:
 - simply transfer ownership with a very strong emphasis on "AS IS", no
     returns, 100% restocking fee, etc...

 - whatever else you can think of to protect yourself as a seller.

Also, the current SOL Used Car Buyers Guide is way too detailed to be
practical.  An shorter, EZ version would be much more useful.

I put together the original Used Car Buyers Guide (with help from RG) as
an exercise to learn what to check out on a used car.  Frankly, I'd be
happy to never see the thing again, so if anyone else wants to do the 2
slanted BOS's or the EZ Buyers Guide, please volunteer.

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________