CAM/INLET/CARB RECOMENDATIONS

To: buick-rover-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: CAM/INLET/CARB RECOMENDATIONS
From: John Bartholomew <jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 17:15:04 -0700
Hey there listers,
                 I have finally got my ROVER engine stripped and the block
and crank are at the shop being renovated!

Having stipped this sucker down, I know I need to replace the cam and
lifters and the block needs to be bored as one piston #4 was rusted in
pretty good, took a 2x2 of oak and a 7lb sledge to move it out.
The remainder were in pretty good shape. Seems a couple of bores had taken
in some antifreeze and it has sat that way for ???. The guy at the local
shop tells me this block is in great shape, just looking at the water ways.
They are all clean as a whistle and the water pump is probably still
usable.  I am gonna replace it anyway.
There are a couple of lobes of the cam that are well gone and some of the
lifters are really cupped, so it's new cam time.  This is where I could do
with so advice from you knowledgable V8 users.  This is my first V8 I have
ever been inside, I find it no so different from the 4 bangers I have
worked on, just a few more pistons and a longer cam. So here is my
question.  What would be a good cam to get, I want to get something that is
streetable and will give the motor a little kick. Say one level above the
standard cam. I will need to replace the pistons and an gonna go with the
9.? compression, which I think was standard on this motor.  It's the Rover
3500 and had, has, the SU carburettors. Which leads me to my next point.
What manifold and carb set up should I go with?  Should I select my cam to
match my carbs? Most of the SU carbs are there, but they are missing the
float bowls and fittings. Would you listers recommend staying with the SU's
or go with some other set up.  I think I am going to have to replace the
inlet manifold as it looks like the current set up will be too high for the
"B" to be able to clear the hood. So I can justify replacing the manifold
and the carbs. Have you folks any info on what works so I can go shopping.
I am not looking for over kill and I don't want to be under the hood every
trip tweeking. I would like something that will stay setup that I won't
have to keep adjusting. I have no experiance with anything but SU's
however, I am willing to learn!
Any suggestions would be welcome...TIA -John.
     E-mail jdb70@minerva.amdahl.com
  John Bartholomew Amdahl San Jose CA.
  ** 408-746-6361 07:00-16:00 PST.  **
    **  USUAL DISCLAIMERS APPLY  **
Various MGB & GT's (6) '69 to 79; 86 XJ-S COUPE