Re: Vintage Formula Fords

To: "Chapman Era List" <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage Formula Fords
From: "Tony Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 17:21:00 -0500
New subject from Gene !!!

>>>I have a friend in Houston who races his Lotus Seven in CVAR with me.
He's also bought a vintage Hawk formula ford and would like to see me get a
car.
Naturally, I want to consider a Lotus 51 or 61.   I would like to hear
thoughts on these cars.

Glad to help, ol' buddy! ;-)

>Good points and bad, reliability issues.

Good?  Simple, easy to service, all parts available, the Lotus "cachet", an
active "register" with vast information &  the 51 is often called the most
beautiful formula Ford.

Bad?   They're not the fastest FF but on a given day . . . .

Reliability?  stock Ford engine you can service yourself, VW/Hewland
transaxle, off-the -shelf components.

> What are they like to drive.

Like a Super Seven but to the second power!  The central seat, wheel
visibility even tighter suspension/steering response all contribute.

>  I've certainly heard negative things about the Renault gearbox in the
early 51's.

There are purists that use them and that's fine.  I have one for posterity
but there's a Hewland installed for practicality . . . with lots of extra
gear-pairs.

>The styling on the 61 is of course a subjective issue, but its lower cost
may push me in that direction.

You'll have to sort that out but . . . ugh!      ;->

> Also, a risky side note: Mr. Brightman wants to get a 51 for himself.
This would be great.  He would have
> some less controversial topics for conversation !

Just my luck!  I have a fresh pro-built   "Mike Sauce"  51, only needs a
cell, belts, header and some body and paint work . .    I want to sell it!
So what do I do???  P--- off two possible buyers, of course.
:-)
Tony
(others?)