Re: Vintage Formula Fords

To: Gene_Carter@avid.com
Subject: Re: Vintage Formula Fords
From: rodbean@earthlink.net
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 14:58:21 -0700
Gene_Carter@avid.com wrote:

> New subject !!!
>
> I have a friend in Houston who races his Lotus Seven in CVAR with me.  He's
>also
> bought a vintage Hawk formula ford and would like to see me get a car.
> Naturally, I want to consider a Lotus 51 or 61.  I would like to hear thoughts
> on these cars.  Good points and bad, reliability issues.  What are they like
> drive.  I've certainly heard negative things about the Renault gearbox in the
> early 51's.  The styling on the 61 is of course a subjective issue, but its
> lower cost may push me in that direction.  Also, a risky side note: Mr.
> Brightman wants to get a 51 for himself.  This would be great.  He would have
> some less controversial topics for conversation !
>
> Gene

It always depends on what the goal is.  How important is the vintage
significance
aspect?  How important is winning a certain class (and therefore,
picking the most
competitive car in the class vs. one that hasn't a hope... even within FF)?

The 51 is, of course, besides being a Lotus (if that's important), the original
FF.  So how much does that influence motivation?

Others will comment with more authority I sure but the only thing I can
say with
authority is that a Hewland is more desirable than a Renault gearbox.
The reasons
are:

Design
Parts availability
Gear ratio selection
Operation

That's all that comes to mind.  The Europa S1 Gordini I vintage raced
was a fine
car except for its abominable shifting and less that wonderful ratios.

There is a FF list too, by the way.

formula-ford@autox.team.net

Good luck.

Rod