Vintage Formula Fords

To: Chapman Era List <chapman-era@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vintage Formula Fords
From: Gene_Carter@avid.com
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:34:20 -0400

New subject !!!

I have a friend in Houston who races his Lotus Seven in CVAR with me.  He's also
bought a vintage Hawk formula ford and would like to see me get a car.
Naturally, I want to consider a Lotus 51 or 61.  I would like to hear thoughts
on these cars.  Good points and bad, reliability issues.  What are they like to
drive.  I've certainly heard negative things about the Renault gearbox in the
early 51's.  The styling on the 61 is of course a subjective issue, but its
lower cost may push me in that direction.  Also, a risky side note: Mr.
Brightman wants to get a 51 for himself.  This would be great.  He would have
some less controversial topics for conversation !

Gene