Re: Top Speed

To: CalSpeed@aol.com
Subject: Re: Top Speed
From: "John F Sandhoff" <sandhoff@csus.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:12:42 PST8PDT
Calspeed writes:
> His stories are sure colorful.  I hope that they are non-fiction.  ;>)

Well, I wouldn't wager too much on their accuracy :-)

There's _no way_ you'll have enough torque in 5th to lay rubber -
unless he stomped on the brake pedal instead of the clutch :-)

As far as the smog pump - first, I doubt the pump has enough pressure
to make a difference. Not that it matters - plumbed the way the story
states, there's _no way_ the air pump will help. First and most
importantly, crimping the injectors does NOT force the air into the intake
manifold. The 'burp valve' blocks air flow except during deceleration,
so there's no flow! And if there were, you'd really have a problem: the
air dumps AFTER the carbs, which would lean out the mixture! And
it would be non-linear - the faster the engine spins, the more air flow
thus the leaner the mix. In other words, a carb adjustment cannot
compensate! Hmmm, lean mix = detonation... who was it that melted his
piston a couple months back? Maybe he was trying a 'calspeed blower'
option :-)

Maybe Roman has a way to use a shop vac as a cheap blower :-)
but your smog pump ain't gonna cut it. Though I do have a couple
used ones sitting in boxes... Hmmm, ebay item? DIY supercharger?
Any offers?

-- John