Top Speed

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Top Speed
From: CalSpeed@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 16:33:27 EDT
Hello,

On my to Shasta with the BADROC Crew I decided to floor the left pedal for as
long as the straight lane highway and traffic would allow.

So here I was on Hwy 505 and a wonderful straight of at least 3-4 miles long
opens up.  I dump it into fourth and run it to near redline and then fifth
gear started to pull me up the RPM range.  I was surprised how well things
were feeling too.  The suspension was very steady without any drifting or
floating.  And the motor was pulling nice and steady as the Solex's barked
its familiar tune.

I started to really concentrate when the speedo started to read
120...125...130...135...140...145...150...!  I knew that I was not doing that
speed as the speedo needle was doing its bouncy dance but I made sure to
remember certain facts so I wouldn't have to do this test every again.  ;>)

The fastest I got it up to was.....?  I really am not sure.  In fifth gear
the Speedo was bouncing near 140-150.  The Tach was bouncing at 5500 to 6300.
 These are the maximum readings that I took and then I coasted to a slower
pace.

I am running with 195/60x14 Yokohama tires on 6 inch wide rims.  I am also
using the stock 2000 rearend.  My guess was that I was pulling about
125-130mph.  Sound right?

Otherwise, the Roadster still wanted to pull alittle more.  It certainly
wasn't pulling strong at those speeds but I think it had about 10mph left in
her.  Actually, my Fairlady probably had more in her then I had in me.  I was
about topped out to tell the truth.

Michael "Calspeed" Carion