Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable

To: "RWM" <RWM@rwmann.com>,
Subject: Re: Weird electrical short burned throttle cable
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 13:00:10 -0500
>I'm not trying to beat a dead short, so to speak,
>but maybe the question wasn't clearly phrased.
>
>How is it that the positive potential gets to the throttle/choke cable?

I'd say because the positive potential had no other, or less resistive,
paths to ground.

Sorry folks. In trying to be cute, I don't think I did a good job of
explanation. Fortunately I think Brian and Pat filled in the gaps. I've
always been of the opinion that while wiring can be too small, that
within practical limits it can't be too big.

This problem crops ups periodically on the 510 list since it's common
practice on them to move the battery to the trunk. Folks tend to run a
single large/long battery cable from battery positive to the starter and
then a short cable to the trunk floor. That'll work, but I think it best
to run a similar sized chunk of cable from the body to the engine up
front, too. Use star washers and non corrosive grease at the body
attachment point to insure good connections.

Several years ago I started using welding cable for these runs. In my
experience it's considerably cheaper than "battery" cable and since it's
fine stranded it's much more flexible and easier to route. Look in you
local (or Yahoo) yellow pages for welding supply stores.

FWIW, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas
(817) 572-0873