Re: Wall Street Journal Article on Extreme Restoration

To: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net, Geegc@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wall Street Journal Article on Extreme Restoration
From: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 16:14:42 -0700
This is an interesting thread that has sort of been discussed before, but
from a different angle. Many people (myself included) have often balked at
the prices being asked for questionable cars, but when you get down to brass
tacks, Datsuns are probably the most affordable classic sports cars there
are.

I was on traderonline the other day and looked at some 60s Austin-Healeys,
Porsche, Jaguars, etc.

Right.

At least 20k for a nice MKIII. The average price I saw was well over 10k.
Yes, restoring Datsuns is expensive. Not nearly as expensive as other cars,
but still expensive.

The rule of thumb I heard at Solvang: "Take whatever you spent on restoring
your car and divide by three. That's what it is worth." Fortunately I could
give a damn about that. I just love the car. The money is worth it not for
the value of the car, but for the value of the car to me.

Andrew Murphy
SoCalROC