Re: Wall Street Journal Article on Extreme Restoration

To: "Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wall Street Journal Article on Extreme Restoration
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 17:47:57 -0500
>Our roadsters won't even get a glance from my brother-in-law. I don't know
>how Les can make a living restoring Datsuns for what he charges! Of course
>money is probably not what drives him, it's gotta be the passion.

It's a shame. Sounds like he's more into the "prestige " of what he does
rather than just the enjoyment. I've seen Jay Leno several time on My
Classic Car and other auto special interests car shows and he seems to be
into the cars as much for the enjoyment as anything else. Sure he's got a
ton of money and can indulge far more than most, but then wouldn't we all
if we had the means?

Phil Hill seems to be another person with similar views. Yeah, he's got
the Ferraris and whatever, but they're still cars to him, meant to be
driven. I watch some of the Speedvision shows that Alan DeCadney hosts.
The guy is often almost visibly drooling before he gets in a a car.
That's the kind of gig for a car nut to have. Yeah..., throw ME in that
briar patch!! PLEASE!

Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)