RE: Found A 67.5 Solex

Subject: RE: Found A 67.5 Solex
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:18:09 -0400
You think that's bad.  I went to look at what was advertised as an '86 911
Carrera Coupe for $14K over in St. Petersburg several months ago.  The guy
was genuinely stupid and was looking for someone even more so.  As I pulled
up to the rear of the Porsche I saw a "Carrera" badge stuck onto the deck
lid UNDER the original "911SC" badge.  Both badges were on the car.  A quick
look at the vin confirmed that is was an 82SC (10th position of a modern vin
is a letter equating to the year in case you didn't know - A = 1980, in this
case the 10th digit was "C" for 1982).  The guy then tells me that the cars
engine had been replaced with one from an '86.  So I opened the hood.  Now
for those who don't know the difference between the CIS engine of an SC and
the EFI engine of a Carrera, lets just say that it's as easy to tell apart
as SU's and Solex's.  This was not an '86 engine.  As a mater of fact it
didn't even have the very common Carrera chain tensioner retrofit.
I still see the car advertised as an '86 Carrera every once in a while in
the Auto trader.  You would think some people would learn.
Brian

Brian Hollands
Client Operations Analyst
ADP/Hayes-Ligon