Re: To plug or bridge?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To plug or bridge?
From: "andycost" <andycost@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 12:23:03 -0500
I used a 65 amp alt from a 73 chevy pickup.  It was clocked at 12 o'clock.
If you get a 70 impala unit it will fit, but it is clocked at 3 o'clock
which makes it hard to plug the wites into.  I put mine in the original
location.  I had to space the alt forward a bit to get it to align with the
other pullies.  I put two washers between the bracket and timing chain cover
and I put two washers between the back of the alternator and the motor
mount/alt mount.  I don't know what is involved with mounting it on the
other side, but all the ones I've seen like that use only one belt that runs
the water pump, alternator, and harmonic balancer.

All the manifolds that I've seen have plugs in them.  The manifold itself
has a balance tube.  I see no reason to add another.  By trying to make annn
extra balance tube you run the risk of vacuum leaks and other headaches.

Andy