Smoking after long downgrade?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Smoking after long downgrade?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:41:25 -0700 (PDT)
I drove the roadster to go camping with my family (campsite already in
progress).  The drive includes a long winding road with many uphills
and downhills.  The drive back to the highway is mostly downhill, so I
didn't use the accelerator much and kept it in third gear to keep it
from going too fast.

After coasting this way for a while, I approached an uphill climb and
hit the accelerator.  Quite a bit of smoke come from the tailpipe.
This continued for a few seconds, eventually clearing up, but it was
alarming.

Why would the car smoke more after running without using the accelerator?

=====
Adam
'70 1600 SPL311-28181
http://www.picturetrail.com/abend