Re: What the?!?!?!

To: roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: What the?!?!?!
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:26:19 -0500
I remember one garage, where I delivered auto parts,
with a roadster up on the lift. They could not get
the newly installed clutch to disengage.

Their "attempted fix" was to DRILL 2" diameter holes
into the bell housing, and "shim" the pressure plate
away from the flywheel using washers. That horrible fix
didn't take care of the problem.

Once they had the engine & tranny out, I think they
discover the incorrect release bearing was installed.

I know that bell housing was never "repaired". Someday
there will be a red 2000 with mystery holes in the bell
housing.

Odd thing, that was one of the better shops in Sacramento.
The owner was a decent guy, but had under quoted the labor
to change a clutch. Once everything was back together, they
got some really dumb idea how to "fix it".

How did I notice the holes, do you ask? Well, I used to
drop off parts in a Honda 600. Yes, snorkel mask rear window.
It was small enough I would have fun driving INTO the shop,
under the lifts, while delivering parts. 1975 or so. Been
a while.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.