Re: Speedo repair discovery

To: gmagana@softcom.net, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Speedo repair discovery
From: JRDMF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 14:51:03 EST
Hey Gerardo:

The "black dot" Vs the "silver dot" that Kanto Seiki put on the Tach and the
Speedo for the 67.5 2000 and the 67.5 1600 happened at about the middle of
the production runs on both cars. I believe it was another late addition to
the DOT mandate regarding removal of all shiny surfaces in the cabin. The
latest 2 liter car that I have seen so far without the black dot is Andrew
Murphy's car #00489. Take a look at the original gauge that you took out of
the car and on the back you will see a 5 digit "serial number." This number
actually corresponds to the date that the gauge and the car were made. I.E.
serial number 19047 would be for a car that was produced on the 19th of April
1967. We haven't narrowed it down to the exact serial number transition yet,
but we know car #00489 came without the dot and we know that 6 days later
they started adding it. How many cars that were made in those 6 days we don't
know, but at least we can say with confidence that if you have a high serial
number car you should have the black dot and of course cars that are below
#00489 should be silver.

It has taken us a couple of years and a couple dozen sets of instruments to
narrow  this down and I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who
has a 2 liter car in the serial number range of #00490 through 00550 to see
just when they committed to the change. (I know, get a life.....but it is
pretty cool to put some some order to at least one area of these cars.)

Jon
Huntington Beach, Ca
67.5 2000
67.5 1600