Re: EI Dizzy Conversion/Now Idle Speed and SU tuning

To: gboone@sisna.com
Subject: Re: EI Dizzy Conversion/Now Idle Speed and SU tuning
From: WisslerJon@aol.com
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 19:19:34 EST
Gary,

You were absolutely correct.  I was adjusting the damn air mixure screws and
not the idle screws.  I finally figured out what the hell was going on.
Fortunately for me, a neighbor who restores old Mercedes stopped by and told
me I had to adjust the Unisyn to get a reading (as you said) and voila !!
Now the only problem is no matter what I do I can't get both carbs to get the
same reading.  The rear carb, when covered by the Unisyn, causes the motor to
stumble a bit.  I have the air mixture screw baily opened on that one.  The
front carb barely gets a reading practically no matter what the heck I do.  I
have it opened SEVERAL turns.  Does this mean that my carbs are essentially
toast do you think?  Despite the fact I probably have the SU's nowhere near
tuned, I went out for a test spin and WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!!!  The car
absolutely hums !!  No more stall at low RPM's, and if I punch the throttle
there is INSTANT response.  Major improvement.  Thanks again for such a fine
product, the excellent instructions, and the follow up advice.  The wife and
I will heading out to dinner in the sunset tonight and I may be scaring the
hell out of here with my driving.

69 2000 (With the most excellent Gary Boone EI dizzy)
69 510 Wagon L20B (With the dash removed waiting for a dash clock)
69 Chev C10 4x4 307 2bl (HEI, Edlebrock manifold and carb waiting in the
garage)

(I think I have too many things going at once !!!)
NOWROC
Troutdale, OR