Re: torque wrenches

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: torque wrenches
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 18:59:06 -0600
Go with the beam torque wrench for engine rebuild.

I do use a "clicker" for lug nuts, just easier to
"feel" but I hate using it on a engine rebuild.

Many moons ago I built a simple "calibrator".
Nothing more than a piece of steel - 2' long from
the center to the end. It would pivot on a bearing,
and had a socket head on the "pivot end". Other end
would attach to a string holding a small bucket...
into the bucket went scrap metal. So with 25# of
scrap metal, 2' length, and the bar HORIZONTAL when
the weight was lifted... I had a simple way of checking
my torque wrench.

[Note, the 25# figure was really less 1/2 the beam
weight, and less the weight of the bucket.  I did
a similar thing with a plywood wheel and string...
to calibrate a 6 in-0z torque measurement. Nice thing
about the wheel... string would always be 90 degrees to
the torque, so no sin/cos error.]

Yes, there were some errors involved with it, but
did the trick. My beam wrench was pretty accurate.
My click wrench under read by 20% towards the high
end.

Tom