Re: torque wrenches

To: "Ronnie Day" <rday@hot.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: torque wrenches
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 08:24:01 -0500
There's a place in Ohio that will recalibrate the clicker torque wrenches. I
had a Proto recalibrated a few years back that I bought cheap at a garage
sale. They also disassemble it to check for worn parts. I paid about 50 plus
shipping back then. Don't have a link but a Google search will find it.

For as often as I use torque wrenches they should remain accurate for quite
a while using proper storage proceedures.

I mean how accurate does the wrench have to be as long as you get
repeatability when torquing a head? 4% or so is pretty accurate and the
torque values generally given use a spread of torque values - even for the
heads - eg 45-50 lbs.

The beam scales, unless used properly as Ron said, will give inaccurate
readings. I prefer the clicker type as it's a 'no-brainer'

The type you buy will depend on your own preferences. A SnapOn would be nice
but too pricey for me.

Mike