Re: Water tower removal soak option

To: "Mike H." <twobeaners@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Water tower removal soak option
From: Pat Horne <pjhorne@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 22:03:06 -0500
I had a boat for almost 20 years. It sat in a lake the whole time. I had
to overhaul the Evenrude engine twice, once when the auto oiling went
out and ate the crank and cylinders, and one when the flywheel key
sheared and burned a hole in one of the pistons. As I recall all the
fasteners were stainless. I had no problem getting the fasteners out,
and found no corrosion anywhere on that power head either time.

There are any number of "stainless" steels and I have no idea what type
was used in that engine. Maybe I should go down and buy a bolt or 2 and
try to determine what type it is.

Peace,
Pat

Mike H. wrote:

>Make no mistake, as a boat owner, I can tell tell you, after following all
>the numerous responses concerning using "stainless bolts" into aluminum, it
>is NOT the PERFECT solution. There can still be severe enough corrosion to
>cause problems, although not as bad as regular steel. If there are any
>roadster owners who are long term boat owners as well, now is the time to
>chime in! Marine supply catalogs (West Marine, etc.) offer much useful
>information regarding the galvanic, corrosion activity of dissimilar metals
>in contact. They sell products that specifically mitigate this issue. I will
>say in general, stainless to aluminum contact in a "non-salt water"
>environment is not near as severe as regular steel. In a salt water
>environment, it can be as bad or worse than our experience with the thermo
>housing. I have replaced all my exterior "dress" engine bolts with stainless
>because they will hold their appearance "better" and are cheaper than having
>them chromed. However, on my thermo tower, I chose to use regular steel
>bolts heavily coated with anti-seize compound going in to the aluminum head.
>I can tell you from experience, stainless can seize up really fast and tight
>with itself OR aluminum! At least when there is "seizing", mild steel is
>much more forgiving and less damaging to aluminum than stainless.
>IMHO,
>Mike Hudson '67-1600

-
-- Support Habitat for Humanity - a hand UP, not a hand OUT --