Re: he's got the jack!

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: he's got the jack!
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@tlabgalaxy.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:56:42 -0500
> Richard

> On floor jacks:  I had been  able to slide my 3 ton jack under the frame
> rails.  A few weeks ago I installed a set of Koni shocks.  When I lifted the
> car, removed the jack stands, and lowered the car, I was unable to remove
> the jack.  The Konis lowered the car by about an inch.  Now I have to jack
> from the front plate or rear end.  So if you get a floor jack be aware of
> its lowest height.

Northern Tool has several aluminum floor jacks. This one
(http://tinyurl.com/hhezb) is a 1.5 ton model with a lift range from 3.3 to
14.8 inches and the shipping weight is 28 lbs. Price is $90. Yeah, I know
others will lift a car higher, but they usually weight a bunch more, too.

For example (http://tinyurl.com/kqg78) lifts from 3.6 to 17.5 inches, but
shipping weight's 46 lbs. And it cost $220. Even if the prices were reversed
I'd be real tempted by the lighter jack. Being older and way out of shape
often effects one's point of view of what's important.  :>)

In my experience Northern Tool also seems to offer generally better quality
equipment than Harbor Freight. Having both stores up in DFW is nice, too.

FWIW,
Ron