Re: he's got the jack!

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: he's got the jack!
From: Gary Boone <gboone70@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 17:48:10 -0700 (PDT)
I'm safety first minded too but I need to share a
close call I had even
when I practiced what I thought was safe.  I had the
roadster supported
on jack stands on all 4 corners while connecting the
clutch slave
cylinder spring, which requires exerting a fair amount
of force to do.
I got the job done.  Then I got out from underneath
the car and was just
casually leaning against the car while standing (not
much force exerted
to the car at all).  One of the jack stands collapsed
and the car fell
to the ground right on the corner where I would have
been pinned.  My
lesson learned was to make sure the lever mechanism is
engaged and
locked in the teeth of the vertical bar.  This was
very disturbing to
me, so now I always check the jackstands before I
lower the jack and if
possible leave the jack in place as a backup. Someone
was watching after
me that day.

Pete Peters wrote:

>No, that's intelligent, healthy respect. "Painful"
happens when you stop
>being afraid.
>
>SAFETY FIRST!
>
>Pete

Behalf Of SlowBoy
>Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 4:00 PM
>To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: he's got the jack!
>

>It's the painful way I avoid as I am afraid of being
under a car despite
>crawling under them since 15. Not only do I jack the
car with a floor jack,
>but I prop it up with two stands and still leave the
floor jack in place.

>That's okay as I wear goggles, gloves, jeans and
steel tip boots when using
>the lawnmower.

the jackstand
>>sitting next to the car went right through the
bottom of the rear
>>fender.  Went out, right then and there, and bought
a proper floor
>>jack. An hour later, the bottle jack went for a swim
in Lake
>>Washington, and hasn't been heard from since. 15
years later, I still