Re: [Roadsters] Valve Cover discovery...

To: Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Valve Cover discovery...
From: fairlady1964spl310@yahoo.com
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 10:03:35 -0700 (PDT)
I may know a little about this....
It is my understanding, that there were a couple different configurations for
the crankcase ventilation on the early 1500 roadsters.  The earlier (63, 64)
have a breather tube that goes from the engine backing plate to the upper,
left, rear corner of the block.  These used a breathable oil cap like on the
1000 and 1200s....an odd looking, painted cap containing metal mesh as a
filter. There was no rear hole in the valve cover.  The other configuration,
is a two piece oil cap (usually chrome) with a tube that connects to the air
cleaner.  Again, no hole in the valve cover.  The 1965, R16, I believe, was
when it changed to the vented valve cover we all know and love.  Regarding the
mechanical purpose of "crankcase ventilation", I've no clue.
Patti