Re: [Roadsters] Valve Cover discovery...

To: Eddie <eddietude@socal.rr.com>, Datsun Roadster List
Subject: Re: [Roadsters] Valve Cover discovery...
From: Daryl Smith <drlsmith@dccnet.com>
Date: Sat, 23 May 2009 11:19:02 -0700
Well, since I've been having problems in this area I guess it's my turn to
log in.......

My early '66 1600 had the vent tube out the left rear of the block, and no
valve cover outlet.
With the EFI conversion, I elected to block that off and use the later valve
cover with the hose attachment tied to the intake (to lower emmissions
direct to atmosphere).
I figured it would draw enough to eliminate the problem of blowby building
pressure and causing oil leaks.....It's pretty much the same setup as the
later SU cars, so it shouldn't be a problem......
3 oilpan gaskets later, I still have excessive leaking from the oil pan.
Putting a vented oil filler cap has lessened the oil leak, so there does
seem to be a pressure buildup problem there.
This is on a fairly fresh rebuild stroker engine with minimal blowby at
idle...I haven't done a leakdown test, but compression test reads 185 -195
psi.
Part of my oil leak problem may be a .010" height difference between the
block and timing cover at the oilpan, but that should have been fine with
gasket sealant etc. which I have used......

So, regardless of what setup you use, make sure there is sufficienct venting
of the block!
Does it need to go to the aircleaner? No, that simply recirculates the
blowby back thru the engine decreasing emissions directly to the atmosphere
(recomended unless you are racing). A small filter on the vent tube should
work, but you may find it dripping oil eventually........

Daryl