fot

Re: Air Filter choice?

To: <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>, "FOT" <fot@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Filter choice?
From: "Irv Korey" <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 07:10:13 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: GuyotLeonF@aol.com <GuyotLeonF@aol.com>

Friends, Romans & Countrymen,

I have come to the conclusion, following recent discussion on the list  that
I am be well advised to change from my present exponential type ram
pipes/velocity stacks,  to newer full radius type ram pipes...

I have been wondering how well they will fit under my present K&N filters
(50mm deep on my Vitesse, due to lack of space)...and whether I should
change
to either ITG filters - from Coventry, (UK) or Pipercross, from Northampton
(UK).

Leon,

My personal experience with Ram Flos not flowing all that well was confirmed
for me last summer when I found that my TR4 would not accelerate beyond 5000
rpm with a brand new set of Ram Flos in place. Removing them and running the
next session confirmed that they were the problem, as the car happily ran to
6000. Don't know anything about the foam drying out and sand blasting the
innards of the engine, but I know from an earlier set on another car that
the foam does deteriorate and lose its shape, allowing the foam element to
be sucked into the carb.

The ITG's flow much better that the Ram Flos and the element can not be
sucked into the carb inlet like the Ram Flo due to its construction.
However, a noticeable and disturbing amount of dirt was getting into the ITG
filter itself, which meant it was able to enter the engine. I believe that
this was from a poor seal between the element and the back plate, as ITG
filters have a backing plate that mounts to the carb, and them the element
mounts to the back plate.

My car runs great with the new set of K&N's I put on it after I discovered
the Ram Flos were no good, and I didn't find dirt inside them after a
weekend at the track, so they get my vote.

Hope this helps some,

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
TR4A CT52499 VSCDA Group 2 #58