fot

Re: Rear seal survey

To: kaskas@earthlink.net, JElbe@superflow.com, vinttr4@geneseo.net,
Subject: Re: Rear seal survey
From: WEmery7451@aol.com
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 13:41:18 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/01 7:38:26 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
kaskas@earthlink.net writes:

<< Insert the pieces into the groove, usually a couple to start with a
 little more sealing goo, then insert the tool and drive the seal material
 down hard with a hammer.  Keep doing this one or two pieces at a time until
 there is just a little sticking out the groove, trim that with a razor blade
 and it WILL seal.

 You'll use almost twice as much material as the length of the groove.
 Remember to hammer and hammer and hammer.

Hi Kas,

I do not know if I managed to catch everyone's responses, which I have been
putting into a file.  When my wife gets on the computer, things seem to
disappear,

I have done plenty of hammering of Permatex soaked felt to seal the rear main
bearing cap.  Most of the time, I am laying under the car getting my clothes,
face, and hair covered with Permatex.  After every four races, I have been
changing out the main bearings, rod bearings, and sometimes thrust washers
from under the car.  The more professional people pull their engines, and do
all this work in an engine stand.  I have two stands which seem to get used
only between calamities.

As far as I can tell, I never had leakage problems through the felt seals.
All the oil appears to escape from the aluminum grooved oil sling, which
works in conjunction with the crank grooves.  I have gone through the
following stages with this part:

1) Installed both used and new slings using the tapping method explained in
the shop manuals.

2) Had a mandrel made to center these seals, and have been using it.

3) Hardy Prentice informs me that the mandrel dimensions are wrong in the
shop manuals, though mine seems to work (not stop the leaks).

4) The most recent theory is when I am cleaning an old moldy block and it
appears that the aluminum sling has never been removed, I leave it in place.
The British might be the only ones who can properly install these seals.  I
am now keeping the oil level lower and using an accusump, which seems to help
some.

Question: Did you or the Group 44 cars use this aluminum sling, or were the
grooves removed from the crankshaft and a lip seal installed?